The Sanctuary is the only wildlife centre of its kind in the north east. We offer children of all ages and abilities a unique learning opportunity in a farm environment and working wildlife sanctuary. Ideal for Schools and clubs such as Beavers, Cub Scouts, Brownies and Guides
For your visit our aim is:-
* To broaden understanding of British wildlife and the natural world through talks and 'hands on' experience.
* Talks include: BARN OWL, HEDGEHOG, SNAKE
* Activities - treasure trail, animal feeding, bird watching, pond dipping.
* Indoor wet weather activities - animal sounds, animal bingo, wildlife quiz
To make links with your classroom projects and the curriculum, according to age and ability, we offer the following
* NOCTURNAL (Ideal for Year 2 SATS work)
* BRITISH WILDLIFE AND HOW WE CAN HELP WILDLIFE
* ENDANGERED BRITISH WILDLIFE
* CREATING WILDLIFE FRIENDLY AREAS AT SCHOOL/HOME
* LEARNING THROUGH LITERATURE: PERCY THE PARK KEEPER
We welcome requests for other topics
Great for Teachers too!
Our education officers are with you for the duration of your visit (except lunch break) to both deliver talks and activities and also to answer any questions you or the children may have.
A suggested itinerary for an Educational visit is:
Our marquee is available for your lunch break or our picnic areas for dry weather.
PLEASE NOTE – that any wildlife is not in the public display area but we are able to hold the talks on the owl, hedgehog and snake.
Prices for 2016
Children £5.50 - includes animal feed bag. Teachers are free but any additional parent / adult helpers are charged at £4 per person. For more information contact:
Kim Olson ( Education Officer)
Tel: (01670) 791778 Mobile: 07788 666617
Or use the Contact Us page
Many schools come to The Sanctuary for an educational visit, however we know that some schools prefer for us to visit the school as this saves on time and travel costs – to meet these requests we offer a Road Show - please see our Wildthings Roadshow page for more information.